Wayne with Lewis Moger who won a national competition “Get Creative, Be Safe”
Wayne with Lewis Moger who won a national competition “Get Creative, Be Safe”

Wayne David MP attended the end of year awards ceremony at Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Allta, in Ystrad Mynach where he presented awards to Year 6 children.

Following the awards ceremony Wayne David had the opportunity to meet with pupil Lewis Moger who won a national competition “Get Creative, Be Safe” organised by the industry body, Energy Networks Association, supported locally by Wales and West Utilities.

Lewis, aged 11, wrote a poem highlighting the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Commenting on the event Mr David said, “It was an honour to be able to present the awards to children from Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Allta, who will be moving on to secondary education next year, and I was particularly pleased to be able to meet up with Lewis to personally congratulate him on his success.”

Lewis collected a trophy and a cash prizes of £450 for himself and £900 for the school at a recent event in the House of Commons, when his poem was announced as the national overall winner.


Wayne David MP added, “Due to Parliamentary business I was not able to attend the event in the House of Commons and therefore it was a welcome opportunity to catch up with Lewis at the school and congratulate him in person on his poem.  He has done a great job in presenting the facts and dangers of carbon monoxide in a clear and straightforward way.”


Carbon monoxide

Carnon monoxide is known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, smell it or taste it. Accidental, and therefore preventable, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for around 40 deaths and 200 hospitalisations each year. In the UK, there are more than 4,000 visits to accident and emergency for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning each year, which can often lead to lasting neurological damage.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often confused with the flu, especially in winter, as they include severe headaches, a sore throat, dizziness, coughing, feeling sick, and a general lack of energy.

Around 2 million homes in the UK have gas appliances, with around 14 million gas boilers and around 40,000 faulty appliances releasing carbon monoxide. Only around 5% – 10% of households have a carbon monoxide alarm.

If you do suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, this is what to do:

  • Turn appliances off
  • Open doors and windows
  • Get everyone outside into fresh air immediately
  • Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • And if there is a medical emergency, don’t delay, ‘phone 999

More information on carbon monoxide poisoning can be found on Wales & West Utilities’ website www.wwutilities.co.uk.

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search